Nathan's Point


A modern-era proto-freelance H0 scale layout with a NSW terminal and regional theme.

The layout is a point-to-point design with the open staging yard being the main yard (Jonestown) of the layout and comprising of a basic loco facility, intermodal terminal, grain receival terminal and a passenger station.

From the yard, the mainline (or in this case the branchline) operates through a grain loading town (Heidiville) and then continues onto the terminus town (Nathans Point) which is also a grain town and includes a regional intermodal terminal, passenger station, and small steel distribution centre.

There is no hidden staging, with all trains operating with an on-layout purpose.

Follow along as the layout finally gets closer to reality during 2018 and 2019!


Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Making Pulpwood Loads

I have been making pulpwood loads for about 10 years now I guess you could say.  I made quite a few 10 years ago and have been busy making more in recent weeks.  In between, well, I didn't make any! 

The loads are designed to simulate standard 8ft pulpwood logs that run in the US to paper and pulp mills.  Wisconsin Central ran quite a few of these so they fit into my prototype.

A couple of examples of pulpwood loads.  Between the bulkhead flats and gons, operations are pretty well covered.  Above are a few of the finished models.  On the gondola a piece of pine sits inside to bulk out the space and logs are glued above where you can see.

I have used an Australian plant, Pittosporum, which is very common for hedging in gardens in eastern Australia.  I have used thin branches from a variety I bushes and small trees that have been in my gardens.  The secret is to get into the middle of the bush and to look for straight branches which are a bit bigger than toothpick diameter.  The straightest branches are usually the ones that have grown up after pruning has occurred.  I recently did a heavy prune on a long hedge and found a lot of good fodder in the middle which was now bear.  

I have a basic jig for some standard length cuts like 40ft.  Here is my 8ft jig and a pair of garden secateurs.  I just dock long straight twigs into 8ft lengths.  I can sometimes get 8 or so out of one length and other times I struggle to get two or more due to offshoots or bending. 

After 15 minutes of cutting I have good stock.

I use pine DAR from Bunnings.  This is 42x19mm.  For a gondola I use a single piece and foe a bulkhead flat, I stand two pieces up and glue them.  Just double check the width with your wagon as this recent lot I did was too wide so put the saw through them and re-glued them to take off a few mm.  I paint them dark brown before gluing sticks to them.

I use my finger to spread a layer of glue on one side and then start to lay out the sticks and bunch them up.  Once dried, I do the other side, and then the top.  I have found that a single layer of straight sticks will give a very good sense of a bulk load and doesn't use 'a million' sticks to make either.  I made a full load the other day in about 10 minutes per side.  



A couple of examples of the loads.

A few loads in gondolas as well.  These ones have H beam stakes at the ends.  Some just use logs uprighted as in the first photo.

These look great and are pretty easy and quick to make. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment