My Model Interests

I'm currently stuck with several model interests. They can be broken down into three main categories:
1) Wisconsin Central -1990s
2) NSW Transition Era -1960s
3) NSW Modern Era -Mid 1990s to mid 2000s.

I enjoy all three for various reasons, but the NSW modern era is probably my favourite, as that is what I have grown up with, and there are some great RTR models now on the market. My main interest in this era is National Rail intermodal and steelink trains, as well as QR National, and other small fleets such as SSR and CFCLA.

With no place to currently build a layout, I have been focussing on improving the locos and wagons. All my rollingstock is fitted wth Kadee 5s or 148s and have metal wheels. I have been progressively weathering everything when time permits. The rollingstock is either purchases as RTR or as kits.

All my locos are fitted with DCC decoders, and some with sound. Over the next few months I hope to get all the CVs sorted out and have everything speed matched.

For now, the my blog will focus on the models and weathering. Hopefully we will see the start of a layout before the end of 2010.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013


It has been a while since I last posted on this Blog - progress has been pretty slow but I did take some photos recently inside the shed. 
Down one side I have a selection of number boards which I have legally aquired through my job or swapped or purchased from others. 
The other side has 12 of my photos taken in the Southern Highlands between Bargo and Burradoo.
I recently had 6 x double batten flouros installed (as well as power) and the shed is a whole lot nicer now! 
As I may have mentioned in earier posts, I am converting an old layout from DC to DCC.  Essentially I've cut back all the wiring to just the droppers and have run a then connected these to two bus wires.  I'm not sure if I will run a DCC bus around the layout as I have put an aerial on a roof span and all my throttles are wireless.
So far I have rewired the three section fiddle yard and the farm (Rick's Rock) section.  I have left the frogs unpowered for now but do have a Hex Frog Juicer to try out.  I am also working on a suitable manual turnout control arrangement for the fiddle yard as there are about 30 points all up and I'm not keen on wiring up Tortoises.  The fiddle yard desparately needs a backdrop to give it some depth.
The plan is to get the main line operable before Christmas.  Easier said than done as I have removed about 1 meter from the width of the layout at both ends, meaning I need to carry out major surgury to connect the main lines from the fiddle yard to the display sections.   
A job that will be done soon is the facia repaint - into Wisconsin Central maroon!
Stay tuned...