Nathan's Point


A modern-era proto-freelance H0 scale layout with a NSW terminal and regional theme.

The layout is a point-to-point design with the open staging yard being the main yard (Jonestown) of the layout and comprising of a basic loco facility, intermodal terminal, grain receival terminal and a passenger station.

From the yard, the mainline (or in this case the branchline) operates through a grain loading town (Heidiville) and then continues onto the terminus town (Nathans Point) which is also a grain town and includes a regional intermodal terminal, passenger station, and small steel distribution centre.

There is no hidden staging, with all trains operating with an on-layout purpose.

Follow along as the layout finally gets closer to reality during 2018 and 2019!


Sunday, August 29, 2021

Calling On Signal

I have quite a few signals around the layout, with some of them simply indicating the route direction with power coming from the Tortoise, and then quite a few which are independently controlled at a control panel for the train controller to operate (but the turnout control is at the turnout).

I saw on Australian Modeller some of the Hand Made Accessory signals with Calling on lights.  These are little orange lights which allow passing a signal at STOP to enter a loop or dead end.  I thought these might be a bit of fun and well suited to a few locations.  

The first install was at Aylmerton Junction which is a single mainline location with two turnouts going to two different staging locations.  

The first change I made was to set the turnouts up as a pair.  This meant that you either have a through road or you don't.  Makes it easier for giving a green signal for a clear road rather than trying to ensure two turnouts are set correctly.  

At this point I should add that I am powering the Tortoises and signals all of 12V DC.  My electrical skills are pretty basic, but I can generally work out what I want with a bit of fiddling.

Anyway, I wanted the signals to give the route indication, but I also wanted a manual ability to request the Calling On indication to go into staging.  

What I came up with is the use of a 12mm LED momentary push button to allow the crew to get the Calling On.  This means they need to be at the Signal and need to confirm the road is clear ahead before proceeding.  

Here are some photos and my how to:


Wiring up the 4 pin 12V LED push button.   12V pos and neg power the LED and then the calling on wire and 12V neg go to the other two pins.  This was easier to work out than I expected.  The light stays on at the switch all the time which is helpful too.

Here is Aylmerton Junction. The road is set for the two staging tracks.  The left track has the green which is automatically given due to the polarity of the Tortoise.  The main line is red, also due to the polarity of the Tortoise.  

When pushing and holding the button, the Calling On orange light appears for the train to leave the main for the staging track.  This allows the train to stay on the main if they do not need to go to staging.  

My finger pushing the button.  Sorry about the giant Dymo and coffee cup.  As you can see, I have my Wisconsin Central stuff running around at the moment.

The finished product, with the lit LED and a small label identifying what it does.  There are 5 other locations where I will be putting these.  I wired up the switches today.  Just need more signals!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment